Current News

/

ArcaMax

'Gang Suppression Force' to replace Haiti's Kenya-led mission under US proposal

Jacqueline Charles, Miami Herald on

Published in News & Features

The United States is proposing a significant shift in the ongoing effort to help Haiti wrestle back territory from criminal armed gangs by rebranding the current Kenya-led Multinational Security Support mission into a more aggressive Gang Suppression Force with a new mandate, more police and expanded autonomy from the Haitian police.

The revamped Gang Suppression Mission would have a cap of 5,500 uniformed personnel and 50 civilians. While troops’ salaries would continue to be paid from voluntary contributions to the United Nations, logistical support will be funded from a newly created U.N. Support Office in Haiti, according to a draft resolution the U.S. and Panama began circulating on Thursday.

The idea of a U.N. Support Office, funded through members’ assessed contributions to support the mission’s activities, was first proposed by U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres in February to provide logistical and operation support. The Trump administration last week confirmed to the Miami Herald its support for the plan and a forthcoming push to seek a doubling of the mission’s cap.

The draft resolution asks U.N. members to transition the Kenya-led mission to the new effort for an initial period of 12 months following the adoption of a resolution. The U.N is expected to begin negotiations in coming days.

One area of contention is the U.N. package that would fund lethal equipment, which Guterres had avoided mentioning in his proposal. Another is the change involving the Haitian police. The Kenya mission was sold as providing support to the Haitian police by reinforcing, training and mentoring cops. But in reality that didn’t happen, as the Haitian police high command failed to provide intelligence on gangs, and internal fighting and political tensions with the country’s transitional government fractured the already divided force.

Unlike the current, mostly police-led Kenya mission, which cannot conduct operations on its own, the newly revised force would be authorized to act independently of the Haiti National Police. In giving the new mission more autonomy, U.S. officials are hoping to stop the violence that has led to thousands of deaths since the foreign troops’ arrival.

“The next international force must be resourced to hold territory, secure infrastructure, and complement the Haitian national police. In parallel, a comprehensive approach is required to disrupt gang financing, arms trafficking and other illicit flows fueling instability,” U.S. Ambassador Dorothy Shea told the Security Council on Thursday.

Shea repeated the administration’s thanks to Kenya for stepping up to lead the mission, as well as to the troops from Jamaica, the Bahamas, Guatemala and El Salvador. She said that by establishing a Gang Suppression Force and supporting Guterres’ proposal, the U.S. and Panama are trying to address Haiti’s growing violence, which is expanding to other regions and has pushed Haiti’s capital to the brink of collapse.

“We urge Council members: join us – join us in responding to the call from the Haitian government, as we forge a new path towards peace and security, and establish the U.N. Support Office to properly, and sustainably, resource this effort,” she said. “This will ensure the mission has the tools at its disposal to take the fight to the gangs and ensure that the Haitian state can meet the foundational needs of its people.”

Guterres said Thursday he welcomes efforts by Security Council members to advance his Feb. 24 proposal to strengthen the multinational security support mission through U.N. logistic and operational support.

Under the new model, member countries would continue to deploy under a U.N. chapter that traditionally gives the United Nations more flexibility in the use of force.

 

The Kenya-led mission began deploying to Haiti in June 2024. Though envisioned originally to have as many as 2,500 security personnel, it has remained at about 1,000 with Kenya contributing about 700 police officers, two of whom were killed in armed ambushes this year. The remaining troops, which include some military, have deployed from El Salvador, Guatemala, Jamaica and the Bahamas.

In the new resolution, the authors note that despite the best efforts of the Kenya mission, “its modest resources and resultant capacities have not been able to keep pace with the dramatic expansion of the threat posed by gangs and thus the mission requires sustainable logistical support.”

At the same time, a special representative envisioned to provide strategic guidance for the mission was never appointed, leaving it an orphan as supporters struggled to raise money. The new resolution says that it concurs with the secretary-general that funding “is vital.”

Under the new mandate the mission’s members would still support the Haiti National Police through joint operations. But they will also be authorized to “conduct independent, intelligence-led targeted counter-gang operations to neutralize, isolate and deter gangs that continue to threaten the civilian population and undermine Haitian institutions,” the resolution reads.

As part of the Haiti Support Office, there will also be a Standing Group of Partners. They will consist of Canada, El Salvador, Jamaica, Kenya, The Bahamas, Guatemala and the U.S. On Wednesday, the Haitian government sent a letter to Guterres’ outlining the countries’ commitment to play a high level strategic role.

The resolution, which also endorses a recent proposal by the Organization of American States, notes that with the Gang Suppression Force, “direct support for this assistance is anticipated to be funded by the OAS’ Secure-Haiti project.” It calls for the new Special Representative to coordinate with the U.N. and the OAS.

The resolution also says that both the U.S. and Panama recognize “the willingness of member states to contribute to stability and security in Haiti by contributing personnel, equipment, and other resources.”

Notably absent from the resolution is any reference to Haiti’s police task force, which currently is using weaponized drones and mercenaries to go after gangs. The resolution also makes no mention of the country’s nascent army, which has also been recruited in the fight.

“To make meaningful progress on this collective challenge, we need international stakeholders and donors to come to the table and join the United States, Panama, and others who have demonstrated their commitment to Haiti’s security, in meaningful burden sharing to help promote stability in Haiti,” Shea said. “We remain committed to working with the international community to drive progress forward in Haiti, and call on all Council members to take concrete action in support of this effort.”

_____


©2025 Miami Herald. Visit miamiherald.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus