Former Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct
Published in News & Features
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the brother of the U.K.’s King Charles, has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office after further details emerged of his relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
King Charles III issued a statement outlining his “deepest concern” about the matter, and promising Buckingham Palace’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation” with the investigating authorities.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner,” Charles said. “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
The arrest of Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday, heaps further embarrassment on Britain’s royal family following years of lurid allegations about his ties with Epstein that the former prince has consistently denied. His arrest appears to be the first of a U.K. royal since King Charles I in the 17th century following his defeat in the English Civil War.
Emails to a representative for Mountbatten-Windsor’s office weren’t immediately returned. He has not been charged.
Emails released by the U.S. Department of Justice last month showed the former prince allegedly disclosing confidential government information to Epstein during his time as U.K. trade envoy, a position he held between 2001 and 2011.
Thames Valley Police confirmed Thursday that it had made an arrest, after saying last week it was leading the assessment of allegations relating to misconduct in public office stemming from the release of those files.
Photographs in the U.K. media appeared to show police vehicles attending the Sandringham Estate, the Royal Family’s residence in the county of Norfolk. Norfolk police told Bloomberg that they are supporting a Thames Valley Police investigation into misconduct in a public office.
The offense carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment in the most serious cases. The offense concerns “serious willful abuse or neglect of the power” of the office held, U.K. prosecutors say.
The Epstein files contained emails indicating that Mountbatten-Windsor had advocated for Epstein on a visit with the late Queen Elizabeth II to the United Arab Emirates in 2010, and that he had shared information acquired in his trade envoy role with the disgraced financier and his associates.
They also contained pictures of the former prince on all fours kneeling over a young woman.
Mountbatten-Windsor has previously faced separate allegations regarding sexual offenses connected to his friendship with Epstein, which prompted his mother, the late queen, to strip him of his military titles and patronages in 2022. They included civil action in the U.S. brought by Virginia Giuffre, who alleged that she was forced to have sex with the former prince as a teenager.
He paid a financial settlement to end the court case, denying any wrongdoing.
King Charles III stripped Mountbatten-Windsor of his remaining titles — including “prince” — in September, following the publication of Giuffre’s memoir in which she said the former prince “believed that having sex with me was his birthright.” Despite the king’s move, Mountbatten-Windsor is still eighth in line to the throne.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter,” Charles said on Thursday. “Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service.”
-------
—With assistance from Alex Morales.
©2026 Bloomberg L.P. Visit bloomberg.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments